The HRD ministry sought legal opinion from the Rajasthan government regarding validating degrees, certificates and diplomas awarded by off-campus centres of BITS-Pilani in Hyderabad and Goa.
Additional chief secretary of the Rajasthan government Raj Hans Upadhyay on August 28 had asked a clarification on the matter from the Centre’s higher education secretary, V S Oberoi, in July.
More on the report
- Earlier, UGC didn’t approve two off-campus centres stating that attestation could be inappropriate
- Following the state government’s approach to centre asking a categorical response, the HRD ministry now write to the law ministry
- Meanwhile, Rajasthan government has also put attestation of degrees of BITS-Pilani’s off-campus centres on hold
- Last year, on November 9, the UGC sent a notice to BITS-Pilani directing to shut down their off-campus centres as they were established without the permission and also violated the Deemed University regulations
- After receiving the notice, the institute had appealed to the court against UGC as the centres at Goa and Hyderabad were established before the Deemed University regulations, and mentioned that UGC has no legal authority to issue such notice, as reported intheIndian Express